MOST PEOPLE BELIEVE that every R5 coin on the market is some kind of hidden gem worth thousands of rands.
Unfortunately, that’s not the case.
How much is a R5 coin worth then?
The value of a circulating R5 coin is still R5, which makes them invaluable. However, an R5 coin that is proof or minted may have a higher value depending on either its metal content (gold/silver) and/or how rare it is (how many coins are in circulation.)
So if you found the R5 coin you’re trying to sell in your pocket or wallet with the rest of your change, then it’s only worth R5.
…if you have a collector’s minted or proof R5 coin and you want to sell it, then keep reading.
Here’s the best place you can sell your R5 coin.
The best place to sell your R5 coin is on BidorBuy. The platform is easy to use, trusted, and there are more than enough active buyers to place offers so that they can be sold quickly.
If you want to see other online platforms you can use to sell your R5 coin then make sure you keep reading.
Here are 8 of the best places you can use to sell your R5 coin along with step-by-step tutorials.
01. BidorBuy (Winner)
BidorBuy has been around for more than a decade now and offers a large customer base, as well as a secure platform so that you won’t get scammed.
To sell your R5 Coin on BidorBuy:
- Start by creating a BidorBuy account here if you don’t have one already.
- Click “My BidorBuy”
- Click on “Sell an Item”
- Enter all the details of your R5 coin in the fields provided. Insert as much information as possible with pictures.
- Choose payment options and shipping methods available.
Once done, your listing will appear and bids should come rolling in!
02. Facebook Marketplace
Facebook marketplace is a great tool where you can sell literally anything using your personal Facebook profile – even R5 coins.
To sell your R5 Coin on Facebook Marketplace:
- Login to your personal Facebook account.
- On the left menu, click on ‘Marketplace.’
- Click on the ‘Create a new listing’ menu option.
- Upload an image of the R5 coin, price, and any relevant details.
Done. People in your area will now see your coin for sale, and they will contact you via Facebook messenger if they are interested.
OLX is another great platform that’s very similar to Gumtree that can be used to sell your coin.
To sell your R5 Coin on OLX:
- Go to OLX.co.za here.
- Create an account by clicking on the top right corner of the page.
- Login to your account.
- Click ‘Sell’ at the top right of your home page.
- Make a listing for your R5 coin.
- Select category ‘Hobbies & Interests’
- Select sub-category “Art, Collectibles & Rare Items”
- Insert relevant details on the R5 coin you are selling.
- Upload high-quality images of your R5 Coin.
- Click ‘ Post Now’ at the bottom to finish.
Once done your listing will go out and find potential buyers. OLX has quite a big following so expect to be contacted in a few days.
04. Junk Mail
The Junk Mail has been one of my age-old favorites because it’s free, and it has a huge following.
To sell your R5 Coin in the Junk Mail:
- Go to junkmail.co.za.
- At the top right, click ‘REGISTER FOR FREE’ or simply log in if you already have an account.
- Now go back to the main page.
- At the top right, click ‘Place a Free Ad.’
- Select the category ‘Home, Garden & DIY.’
- Select the sub-category ‘Antiques & Collectables.’
- Insert all relevant information about the R5 coin.
- Upload high-quality images of the R5 coin.
- Click ‘Submit Advert.’
Gumtree is another online listing platform with a big enough following to attract people looking for your coin.
To sell your R5 Coin on Gumtree:
- Go to Gumtree.co.za.
- Register a new account or login into your existing account.
- Once logged in click ‘Post FREE Ad’ at the top right of the page.
- Insert as much information about your R5 coin as possible.
- Upload high-quality images of your R5 coin with good lighting.
06. Local Coin Shows
This method takes some time, but if you want to get fully into the hobby of buying collector’s coins, then attending local coin shows is probably the best way to go.
Here are some websites you can use to get information on coin trade shows in South Africa:
- SA Coin Collectors Group on Facebook
- South African Mint
- Cyber Metals – Coin Shows
- South African Association of Numismatic Dealers
07. Collectors Forums
Another way you can sell your R5 coin is by getting involved in South Africa’s leading collector’s forums.
Enthusiast coin collectors won’t only give you a good idea of how much you can expect to get paid for your coin, but they will also point you in the right direction on where exactly you can sell it.
Who knows, there might be a few collectors willing to buy your coin straight from you.
Here are some of South Africa’s leading collectors forums:
08. Finance Briefly
Last but not least.
You can also post and sell your R5 coin by posting your listing right here on my website in the comments section below.
There are a ton of people looking to invest in coins that are reading this blog, so once I review and publish your comment, you’ll probably be contacted by some buyers.
Just please be cautious, I can’t control who sees your comment, so you might also be contacted by scammers. Always practice caution when it comes to the internet.
Only submit your contact details if you don’t mind getting contacted by random people.