Adding Beneficiaries when banking is an efficient way of paying people without having to fill in their banking details every single time.
In this post, I will show you how to add a beneficiary for FNB (First National Bank) account holders.
To add a beneficiary, you will need the following:
- Bank name or Branch code
- Account number
- The appropriate reference for you and your beneficiary
- Phone number or email to send proof of payment (optional)
Adding Beneficiaries Using FNB Mobile App
The following steps show how to add a beneficiary through the FNB App.
- Login to FNB App.
- Tap the ‘Payments’ icon on the home screen.
- Tap the ‘Recipients’ icon on the screen.
- Tap the plus icon (on the left of ‘Add Recipient/Bill’).
- Select the options button ‘Specify Account Details.’
- You can tap ‘Select Bank/Branch’ or ‘Enter Branch Code.
- Once the Recipient’s Bank is chosen, you will fill in the Banking details.
- You will be prompted to add your reference and the recipient’s reference.
- Once you have filled in the references, tap ‘Continue.’
- The app will display the recipient’s banking details. Take a moment to verify the details.
- If the details are correct tap ‘Confirm.’
Using the FNB app is not the only way to add a beneficiary; there are other ways. Keep reading to find out how to add beneficiaries using online banking and if you can add a beneficiary at FNB ATMs.
Adding Beneficiaries Using Online Banking
Maybe you don’t have access to the FNB App. Well, you can alternatively add a beneficiary through FNB online banking.
To add a beneficiary online, follow the steps below:
- Log in to your online banking profile at www.fnb.co.za.
- Select the ‘Payments’ tab or Icon on the FNB home page.
- The first page will appear on the ‘My Recipients’ page.
- Click on the ‘Add’ (Plus icon) and select ‘Add’ on the drop-down menu.
- Choose the account you wish to pay from.
- Fill in the beneficiary’s account details or select ‘A Public Recipient’ if you are paying an FNB beneficiary.
- You will also need to fill in a reference for yourself and the beneficiary.
- Check if the details are correct and click ‘Confirm’ (if correct) or ‘Edit’ (if incorrect).
- On clicking ‘Confirm,’ you’ll need to type in the OTP number sent to your phone.
- Click ‘Submit’ to finish the process.
- A results page will appear displaying your beneficiary’s account details.
- Click ‘Finish.’
And you’re done! (You can view a demo of this method on the FNB site)
The process should take around 2 minutes (or less) to complete provided you have all the correct account information of your beneficiary.
Can you Add Beneficiaries at FNB ATMs?
If you don’t have online banking or the FNB app at hand, could you use an FNB ATM to add a beneficiary?
Unfortunately, this is not possible as of writing this post. You can pay beneficiaries over the ATM, but you can’t add them.
If you want to pay a potential beneficiary, you must deposit directly into their account. You can also pay added beneficiaries over the ATM, but you must add them over the app or online. (See the FNB demo to see how to pay beneficiaries at ATM)
Editing your Beneficiary’s Details
What if my beneficiary has changed their account details? What do you do now?
No stress. Editing your beneficiary’s details is as easy as adding them, be it online or through the app. I will show you how to edit your beneficiaries over the app and online banking.
Editing through the FNB app, you will follow the steps below:
- Login to the FNB app.
- Tap the ‘Payments’ icon on the ‘Home’ screen, then
- Tap the ‘Recipients’ icon on the ‘Payments’ screen, then
- Locate the beneficiary and tap the arrow (right directed) on the right of the beneficiary.
- A list of options will appear. Tap ‘Edit Recipient.’
- On the app, you can only edit the references and the beneficiary’s name.
- Tap ‘Confirm’ to finish editing.
- A results page will appear displaying the changed details.
To alter the account details on the app, you must delete the beneficiary and add them again. To delete the beneficiary, follow the steps up to step 5. Instead, tap ‘Delete Recipient’ and then tap ‘Confirm’ to delete the beneficiary. Follow the steps above on how to add a recipient to replace the account details of the beneficiary.
To edit through the online banking site, you will follow the steps below:
- Login to www.fnb.co.za.
- Select the ‘Payment’ tab or icon.
- ‘My Recipients’ will appear on the ‘Pay Recipients’ page.
- Locate the beneficiary you want to edit.
- Click the ‘More’ button on the side of the beneficiary.
- A window with two options will appear; select ‘Maintain.’
- Edit the details that need updating and click ‘Update.’
- A ‘Please Confirm’ page will appear; click ‘Confirm’ if the details are correct.
- Type the OTP sent to your phone, and click ‘Submit.’
- A results page will appear displaying the beneficiary’s details.
And you are done!
You can also delete the beneficiary on the page appearing in step 7 by clicking ‘Delete’ on the bottom right corner of the webpage.
The methods above show how you can add, edit, and delete beneficiaries on your FNB online banking or the FNB App. The process is simple and if you know have the required details.
It can be frustrating if just one piece of information is incorrect. If you make a mistake on the online banking site, the site will make you aware of the incorrect entry. On the app, however, you will be prompted with the generic FNB warning. Which doesn’t state the mistake you made that caused the error.
As a recommendation, it would be nice if you could add or edit your beneficiaries over the ATM. This could help account holders who don’t have online banking or the app. It would also be convenient if the function were added to FNB cell phone banking, so if you don’t have an internet connection, you can add beneficiaries using this tool.
It would also be helpful if FNB could allow you to edit the account details, of your beneficiary, through the app. Right now, you can only edit the name and references of the beneficiary.
What are your thoughts? Sound off in the comment below.